Friday 5 November 2010

Day off Diary: Jess the Culture Vulture

I decided to stay closer to home than James and chose to wander around Venice seeing some of the cultural sights. First stop was the Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna and the Musee d'Arte Orientale. I'd stumbled upon them earlier in our stay but couldn't actually remember where they were, so I set out on a bit of an adventure to hunt them both down. To keep myself occupied I decided to go on a graffiti trail and took a few shots of some of the local street art.





Inside the Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Modern featured a number of sculptures and paintings which had been acquired during the turn of the 20th Century from the Art Biennale. With artists such as Kandinsky, Matisse, Klimt, Klee and Chagall. The star of the exhibition was Rodin's The Thinker (not the original as that is in the Musee des Arts Decoratifs in Paris, France.) Even so, it was great to see! 

I then headed over to the Arsenale for the second half of the Venice Biennale (first being the Giardini). I didn't really pay much attention to the content or the detail (after almost four hours of walking, my attention span was waning). I viewed the exhibition from the point of view of a curator and I thought it was brilliant! The inspiring exhibition designs of each space were something which I thought were individual, unique and contemporary. Providing an engaging and interesting platform for architecture. Something which is incredibly hard to exhibit. (Short of having a whole building inside a gallery/museum, the only other option is exhibiting the architectural models which can be at times fairly stilted and uninspiring.)





The Biennale has been curated and directed by Kazuyo Sejima and titled 'People Meet in Architecture'. The exhibition design has really raised the bar for other curators on how they will exhibit architecture in the future. I'm pretty excited to see where this will lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment